Friday, February 6, 2009

Friday Five: My Favorite Things

Songbird at RevGalBlogPals has had a week of some uncertainty, and says: "In a week of wondering how various things in our family life will unfold, I found myself thinking of the way Maria comforted the Von Trapp children in one of my favorite movies. Frightened by a thunder storm, the children descend upon her, and she sings to them about her favorite things, taking their minds off the storm.

So, let's encourage ourselves. Share with us five of your favorite things. Use words or pictures, whatever expresses it best."

1. Books. You knew that, right? Here's a picture of some of our living room bookshelves today. Books there include poetry, Bibles, reference books, history, and some of the numerous To Be Read books. Many other books are elsewhere in the house.

2. Sunshine.

I didn't do so well

photographing this,
but it's a sunny day here and that always makes me happy. I'm not one for lying outside in the sun, though.




3. Color. This photo of a photo that Cordeliaknits took in California is an example of how
color can lift the heart.

4. Family photos. Here's one of me and my
brother that he recently gave me. Apparently my parents had our picture taken professionally (possibly by my uncle Bud, who was working for one of those companies at the time) before my father went to Japan and Korea. I had only had the tattered copy he carried in his wallet there, and from which he had a painting made, until Brother #1 retrieved a bunch of things from storage and gave me this.

5. Stuff with memories attached. This is a charm bracelet that my oldest friends gave me when my family was about to move to Germany after sophomore year. I added to it later. There is a map of Connecticut, a pennant from our high school, a St. Christopher medal from our Catholic friend, a banjo to represent the folk music we were into, a lobster for Maine, the Berlin Bear and Wappen (shields bearing the city or country arms) from Germany, the cities I lived in there, and places I visited. Also a holly sprig for Christmas. The bracelet clasp is broken and the likelihood I'll wear a charm bracelet again is very slim. I'm thinking maybe Cordeliaknits could incorporate the charms into one of her bead or fabric art pieces for me.

9 comments:

Jan said...

Your pictures are worth a visit. I am so impressed that you took the time to do all that--I'm too slow about it all. Thanks for your memories, too.

Unknown said...

That bracelet is particularly delightful. My mom had one with all the pins my dad got from groups he was in, with his fraternity pin and her sorority pin at either end.

Rev Honey said...

Nice play. I have a charm bracelet that is very special to me too.

Barbara B. said...

That is a terrific list -- every single item!

And I'm not one for lying outside in the sun either after my little skin cancer scare. :/

RevAnne said...

What a great creative play. I'm picturing something fun with the charms. There's a blog that I think is called laughing purple goldfish that has a knitting or crocheting with wire tutorial...

Dr. Laura Marie Grimes said...

Beautiful pictures! And thanks for the prayers.

Dorcas (aka SingingOwl) said...

I can't believe that I did not include books as one of my five! I did say sunshine, however!

Jennifer said...

Every favorite-- lovely.
A heart-touching post!

Kaye Wilkinson Barley - Meanderings and Muses said...

Nikki - I must say - your five favorite things are perfect favorite things and I embrace them as mine also. This was an excellent post and these wonderful photos are perfect!!!!
love it
There are quite a few things hanging around my house that probably wouldn't be here if it weren't for the fact that there's some personal little memory attached that makes it worth more than gold.
May I steal this lovely idea for a post at M&M, please and put a link to yours?