Friday, April 3, 2009

Friday Five: Time Out Edition


Sally in the UK, writing for RevGalBlogPals, reminds us:


Holy Week is almost upon us, I suspect that ordained or not, other revgal/pals calendars look a bit like mine, FULL, FULL, FULL.....

Jesus was great at teaching us to take time out, even in that last week, right up to Maundy Thursday he withdrew; John's gospel tells us he hid! He hid not because he was afraid, but because he knew that he needed physical, mental and spiritual strength to get through...

So faced with a busy week:

1. What restores you physically?
Sleep. I have to remind myself to get enough, which really means going to bed at a reasonable hour. Sleeping in just doesn't work for me. Naps can be useful, but in a busy week, they normally can't happen.
2. What strengthens you emotionally/ mentally?
Reading breaks! My busy week will be coming after Easter, when Onkel Hankie Pants and I will be training for census work. It will be my first 40-hour work week in several years. I also expect it will be fun and interesting, but you know I will have a paperback in my purse to read at lunchtime!
3. What encourages you spiritually?
Thinking about the RevGalBlogPals who are actually "RevGals" and all they do.
4. Share a favourite poem or piece of music from the coming week.

Well, this is the one that has to be sung on Maundy Thursday. Another time I posted the Johnny Cash and the Carter Family version; here's another quite different, an 8,000 voice Welsh male choir. I sure do love those Welsh choirs!


But I couldn't resist adding another one; this is an instrumental version of a song I sang in my only choir experience, at the Sunday school in the fire station back in 1958.


5.There may be many services for you to attend/ lead over the next week; which one are you most looking forward to and why? If there aren't do you have a favourite day in Holy week? If so which one is it?

Actually there are just three, and I only have to attend them, no other responsibilities. Of Palm Sunday, Maundy Thursday, and Easter, each has its special moments, but over the past many years my favorite has been Maundy Thursday. Last year I attended that service for the first time since I moved and joined a new church. It was different from what I was used to; a fairly small attendance, and a more meditative feel, less traditional. But I liked it. My problem with Easter at this new-to-me, much larger church, is that even with two services instead of the usual one, it's very, very crowded with C&E attenders, and I can expect all seven (!!!) musical groups to perform; it's one of the days when I feel more like a spectator than a worshiper. The Maundy Thursday service is just the opposite.

7 comments:

Sally said...

Many Easter Blessing to you Auntie Knickers, and enjoy the week of training!

Mary Beth said...

Seven musical groups, WOW!

I'm with you on a smaller and more meditative event...

Processing Counselor said...

Ahhh...You're one of those census takers.

Barbara B. said...

I love reading breaks too!

Muthah+ said...

Auntie dere, How could you pull out the most dated and the most hackneyed pieces of Holy Week Musical literature??? Ohhhh but then I do have to remember---What is Easter if you can't do Easter mit schlag!

Muthah+ said...

Auntie dere, How could you pull out the most dated and the most hackneyed pieces of Holy Week Musical literature??? Ohhhh but then I do have to remember---What is Easter if you can't do Easter mit schlag!

Dorcas (aka SingingOwl) said...

I LOVED the choir!