Friday, June 5, 2009

Friday Five: Moving and Changing


Over at RevGalBlogPals, Sally from the UK is anticipating big changes -- a new position for her is already in transitional stages, her husband is interviewing for a post, and they will definitely be moving. She says:


"ALL IS CHANGE.... and although I am looking forward to it, it is not without a sense of trepidation, as change always brings challenges.

Changing location also means packing, so next month will be a month of clearing and sorting, deciding what comes and what gets left behind...

So with change in mind I offer you this Friday five; ( if you've never moved here's a chance to use your imagination)


1. A big move is looming, name one thing that you could not possibly part with, it must be packed ?
Christmas ornaments we have collected over the years -- and a relatively few other things that have sentimental or artistic value. Everything else can be replaced.
2. Name one thing that you would gladly leave behind...
The ugly smelly recliner we bought for $25 out of Uncle Henry's for Onkel Hankie Pants to sit in while watching tv/videos. The only reason it's not gone now is that the tv room is on the second floor. (We didn't realize how smelly it was until recently when OHP figured out where the smell of cigarette smoke was coming from....)
3. How do you prepare for a move

a. practically?
I did this a few years ago and I hope I never have to do it again...clearing out, going through boxes that had not been unpacked since they entered the house, getting rid of stuff, packing, loading, making arrangements...and, although we'd sworn we'd never do it that way again, we did not hire professional movers. Whew!
b. spiritually/ emotionally?

All the moves of my adult life have been voluntary, but growing up as an Army brat I experienced several moves over which I had no control. I suppose then that it was my parents who taught me to deal with moving by anticipating the good things about the new place, while remembering the good times in the old place. Having so many ways of keeping in touch with people is certainly a help now.

4. What is the first thing you look for in a new place?
The public library!


5. Do you settle in easily, or does it take time for you to find your feet in a new location?
I settle in fairly easily as far as location -- where things are, how to get around, where to get stuff. It is taking more time for me to do the people part after 30 years in one place; fortunately I had a partial social circle ready-made here in my extended family.

The bonus for today; a new opportunity has come up for you to spend 5 years in a new area, where would you go and why?

Five years is a long time, so I really would view this with some trepidation, I'd try to negotiate down to a year or two ... but still I would choose England. I'd come hang out with Sally!

7 comments:

Sally said...

Come hang out with me,that'd be just great! I forgot about the library!

altar ego said...

Of course, the library! Nice play.

Barbara B. said...

Maybe you could throw the recliner out of the 2nd floor window. :)

Jan said...

Army brat meet a Marine brat! Moves were not choices in childhood, but also not in my adulthood. Maybe that's why a possible next move is so difficult for me to think of--it's MY choice!

angela said...

The library! I need to add that to my list. I always look for the library too--lately I haven't made time for it...resolved to go this week.

zorra said...

Oh, I didn't even think about the Christmas ornaments! Of course they would have to come along, at least the ones I've had all my life. Great play!

Elaine (aka...Purple) said...

I will have several of those boxes to "check out"...those that have been in storage for the last 6 years. Enjoyed reading your responses.