Friday, October 16, 2009

Friday Five: On Your Feet!


saddles Wicked Good Moccasins






Jan at RevGalBlogPals says today:

Too often the Friday Fives I offer up seem extremely introspective, so here's something that could be fun. I notice as I finish my sixth decade that my taste in footwear is much different than when I was younger, as comfort wins out over fashion. So look at your feet and think about what you put on them!
1. What is your favorite footwear at this time in your life?

I guess it’s the pink moccasins I got for $3.00 at Marden’s last year. My plan was to have them substitute for slippers, but I started wearing them outside too. Now I wish I’d bought the green ones as well. (Marden’s is a Maine institution – a salvage store with several locations. I need to go there soon, especially as it’s across the street from my cousin’s great barbecue restaurant.)


2. What was the craziest shoe, boot, or sandal you ever wore?

Many people would think these were quite normal but…on my first date with Onkel Hankie Pants I wore shiny brown pumps with what I recall as 3” spike heels, although they may have been only 2”. For me, that was crazy – crazy uncomfortable!


3. What kind of shoes did you wear in your childhood?
In my childhood it was firmly believed that young children should always wear lace-up shoes, and preferably leather; even Keds were thought to be bad for one’s feet. So I wore lace-up shoes and saddle shoes. I’m pretty sure I was in fifth grade before I got my first pair of loafers (and already wearing a woman’s size 9).

4. How do you feel most comfortable? Barefoot, flip-flops, boots, or what?

I like moccasins and Mary Janes, though my Mary Janes wore out and the company changed the style just enough not to fit right any more. I do like lace-up shoes (these days walking shoes) for walking, but once I start to relax they always feel too confining. I hate flip-flops or any kind of between-the-toes sandal.


5. What kind of socks do you like, if any?

In summer, if I wear socks, I like the bamboo anklets from Target. My favorite pair of winter socks are the hand-dyed, hand-knitted ones that Cordeliaknits’ friend (http://stonesoupart.blogspot.com) made for me. Otherwise any warm socks that aren’t too tight on top; sometimes I have to get men’s socks as my feet are big.
Bonus: Anything you want to share about feet or footwear.

I really identify with this song….


6 comments:

Jan said...

Great song video! Our mothers had the same philosophy about sturdy tie-shoes for children growing up. I wore saddle shoes until almost high school.

Must have been love to wear such high heels on a date!

Jennifer Garrison Brownell said...

LOVE this song and havent thought about it for years. Great post - thanks.

Di said...

Don't you hate it when your favorite brand changes? Dang.

angela said...

Oh, yeah...first date shoes. Only women stress about that. We love to think things over and the guy's so greatful we just said yes. Ha ha. Does he remember them? Onkel Hankie Pants--love that name too.

Muthah+ said...

I wear an 11B so don't think you have big feet! That is just a shoe saleman's ploy to keep you uncomfortable.

Barbara B. said...

Great play! And I really, really want to go to Little Dan's BBQ & Grill now!