Friday, February 5, 2010

Friday Five: Looking Toward Spring

eastersnow2 Sally, in England, posts this photo called “Easter Snow” and tells us:

“Candlemass is past, and Christmas is well and truly over; here in the UK February looks set to be its usual grey and cold self. Signs of spring are yet to emerge; if like me you long for them perhaps you need ways to get through these long dark days. So let’s share a few tips for a cold and rainy/ snowy day....

1. Exercise, what do you do if you can't face getting out into the cold and damp?

Fortunately for me, my dog Rusty is oblivious to any kind of bad weather and needs to go out regardless. Rain, snow, wind, cold – we take our walks anyway. Also fortunately, winter on the coast of Maine is quite often sunny. I’ll be starting an all-day job on Monday, though, so it’s time to get intentional about those Vitamin D supplements.


2. Food; time to comfort eat, or time to prepare your body for the coming spring/summer?

Comfort food is the thing for winter, I think. Because of the new work schedules (I’ll be working 6 days a week and Onkel Hankie Pants will be working 6 days plus 4 or 5 evenings – no fear, it’s not permanent!) I’m racking my brain for things that can be made quickly or in the slow cooker, and reheated at need. We may be eating even more homemade soup.


3. Brainpower; do you like me need to stave off depression, if so how do you do it?

During January, which is perhaps worse for me, I cheered myself by reading “not-so-trashy trashy novels” and watching costume dramas ranging from Mad Men to Elizabeth R. I’m fortunate not to have serious problems with depression so little fixes like those usually work for me.


4. How about a story that lifts your spirits, is there a book or film that you return to to stave off the gloom?

Jane Austen is a big help, in either medium – I’m enjoying Emma on Masterpiece Classic each Sunday night right now. The novels of Miss Read are what I resort to if things get really bad. However, they do engender some envy when she starts writing about “winter-blooming jasmine” and other flowers that, in southern England, come out soon after Christmas.


5. Looking forward, do you have a favourite spring flower/ is there something that says spring is here more than anything else?

I do love all the spring bulbs, but perhaps daffodils are my favorite, and yet I have trouble getting them to grow; we have better luck with tulips.


Bonus; post a poem/ piece of music that points to the coming spring......

Here's a song my father used to sing. I love the outfits on these guys!

8 comments:

Sally said...

Love the vid, and wow those outfits... hope the new job goes well...

Nik said...

Oh my dear - those are just crazy awful hours you have to work. The slow cooker will definitely come into its own.
No we don't re. names: I'm Nikki or Nik but when talking to the government or when in trouble [not always the same thing!!] it's Nicole :D

angela said...

I'm cheered just reading your post. Never knew Maine was sunny in winter. I have a feeling I would really love it. People there would probably laugh at my accent and girly manners though...

Jan said...

Somehow my first comment disappeared, so I am trying again. If you check our my FF, I have a link to a very comfy chicken crockpot recipe. I never seem to get to watch "Mad Men," because I cannot figure out when the show is on tv here. I watched the first two seasons from rented netflix dvds, but don't know how to find the current shows. Oh, well. Guess I don't try too hard.

Terri said...

We have winter blooming yellow Jasmine flowers here in SE Arizona...I forgot about them since I don't have it in my yard... and I had no idea that it was so sunny on the coast of Maine...fun play!

Hot Cup Lutheran said...

those good doggies get us out and about!

Mary Beth said...

Yay for Rusty!!!

MaineCelt said...

But the benefits of your work schedule extend beyond your bankbooks... How much fun it was to call into a mysterious office in the great "Somewhere" and have you recognize me from the blogosphere!

It was a treat to "meet" you the other day, even aurally!