Friday, February 22, 2008

Friday Five: Heaven


Singing Owl at RevGalBlogPals writes:

"I am in Seattle assisting with family stuff and preparing to attend a memorial service (Saturday) for my sister who died of complications of early-onset Alzheimer's disease.
I am not grieving much, since the shock and tears and goodbyes and losses have been many and have occurred for a long time now. I am mostly relieved that my wonderful sister and best friend is free from pain and confusion, and I am thinking of eternity. That sounds somber, but I don't mean it to be. I decided to have a little fun with the idea. So how about we share five "heavenly" things? These can be serious or funny or a combination of the two."

What is your idea of a heavenly (i.e. wonderful and perfect):

1. Family get-together
It would need to last at least a week per "side" of the family, so I would really have some time to talk with people individually or in small groups. I enjoy having everyone together, but it's hard on introverts.

2. Song or musical piece
Once, Anonymous 4 was singing at the Basilica in Minneapolis on a Saturday evening. I decided to go to the Saturday Mass so I could get a good seat, and I got there early. So I got to hear them (and see them) wandering about the chancel, vocalizing and testing the acoustics. The music later was wonderful, but sitting in the almost-empty and visually rich Basilica sanctuary listening to Anonymous 4 was heavenly.

3. Gift
Something homemade or very personal, like artwork or an old family photograph.

4. You choose whatever you like-food, pair of shoes, vacation, house, or something else. Just tell us what it is and what a heavenly version of it would be.
A heavenly pair of shoes -- would be one that fit perfectly, never wore out or got stinky, and would change colors and styles according to need.

5. And for a serious moment, or what would you like your entrance into the next life to be like?
What, from your vantage point now, would make Heaven "heavenly?" Well, of course I'd like trumpets. (But I don't expect them.) I've generally thought it would be presumptuous of me to think too much about heaven (after all, as the song says, "Everybody talkin' 'bout Heaven ain't goin' there"). But of late years, even though it's not strictly Scriptural, I do hope to be reunited with loved ones in some way.

1 comment:

Crimson Rambler said...

Hi Auntie -- I have tagged you for a meme at my place, if you care to play...