Yesterday I had the 24 hour flu. I had been told by the people who had it first that it really was a twenty-four hour bug. And so while I dealt with all the blech of the flu, I kept reminding myself that morning would come and I would feel a lot better.
- If you could dramatically change your physical appearance for 24 hours, what would you do? This might be cheating because it's not just "appearance," but I'd like to go back to the body I had 37 years ago. I don't think I appreciated it sufficiently at the time.
- If you could live in another place for 24 hours where would you go? Almost anywhere except Las Vegas or Orlando. (Or Atlantic City I suppose). There are so many interesting places! But maybe just for 24 hours I'd like to go to the Ruzizi Valley in the Democratic Republic of Congo, where my nephew's organization is building a sustainable village (www.workingvillages.org).
- You get to do somebody else's job for a day... And does this mean I'd be competent at it too? Then, I'd like to work as an epidemiologist at the Centers for Disease Control. Though I have no talent or training for it, epidemiology has always fascinated me and I will always read books about it. It would be fun to see what the work is like from the inside.
- Spend the day with another person from anywhere in time and space... Initially I thought about just going back to when one of my children was small -- 3 or 4 years old perhaps. But then I'd have to choose which one. So now I say, pick an ancestor - any ancestor. I enjoy ferreting out the details of their lives but there is only so much that's in the records. Perhaps my great-great-grandparents during their brief sojourn in southeastern Minnesota -- why did they leave?
- A magical power is yours. Which one would you pick? This one was mentioned as a "futuristic" technology in some Friday Fives a few weeks back -- teleportation! I'd love to be able to visit my children and friends who live far away without the expense and downright misery of airline travel these days. (Not to mention I could come back the same way and sleep in my own bed!)