Friday, December 10, 2010

Auntie Knickers’ Advent Storytime: Day 10

harveyslum I am short on time today, as I’m going to a play tonight, and not just any play. It is It’s a Wonderful Life, at the Chocolate Church in City of Ships, and starring (at least I think so) Onkel Hankie Pants as Clarence Oddbody, AS2. So, I chose a picture book which I bought last year for a buck or so at the Christmas Tree Shop. It’s called Harvey Slumfenburger's Christmas Present. John Burningham, born in England in 1936, both wrote and illustrated the book.

I’ve loved the song that goes with it ever since I first heard it on the late lamented Minnesota Public Radio Morning Show. It’s “Jogging Along with My Reindeer” by Seamus Kennedy from Goodwill to Men.

For a slightly longer story, you can go to December 10, 2008, for Appalachian writer Rebecca Caudill’s A Certain Small Shepherd. One Appalachian carol (written by John Jacob Niles, based on a tune fragment he heard in the mountains), one African-American carol, and one American carol whose provenance I’m not sure of are songs to go with the story.

Individual Files for Mac Users

Intro Dec 10 2010 Surprise Harvey Slumfenburger's Christmas Present

Intro Dec 10 2008 Surprise 1 Surprise 2 Surprise 3

A Certain Small Shepherd

Self-Extracting Zip Files for the Rest of Us

December 10 2010 December 10 2008

1 comment:

Unknown said...

you are invited tom follow my blog