Friday, July 18, 2008

Friday Five: What's in a Name?

RevHRod at RevGalBlogPals writes:

If you are a regular reader of Songbird's blog, you know that "The Princess" has requested a new name. Her older brother changed his "secret identity" a while back and now this lovely young lady is searching for a new name on her mother's blog. This got me to thinking. How do we come up with all of these names? There must be at least a few good stories out there.

In honor of the Princess I have posted a picture of one of my favorite members of fictional royalty, Robert Munch's "Paperbag Princess." She is a brave young woman who doesn't need anyone else to fight her battles. And she knows that what is most important isn't tiaras and finery but what's on the inside. If you haven't read this little fairy tale, I highly recommend it. But I digress.

  1. So how did you come up with your blogging name? And/or the name of your blog? My blogging name comes from Onkel Hankie Pants, who started his blog first and referred to me as Auntie Knickers there. It's both a play on the pants theme and also on my real name. I named my blog "Exile's Return" for the reasons stated under the title.
  2. Are there any code names or secret identities in your blog? Any stories there? Yes. Some of the names are self-chosen by those involved, such as Onkel Hankie Pants, SonShineIn, Cordeliaknits and now, Sisterfilms. For the rest, primarily I picked one distinguishing characteristic for each person. For example, Temple Truck Woman has an "art car" that is made to look like a temple. Brother #1 painted some of the images (maybe all); here is one.
  3. What are some blog titles that you just love? For their cleverness, drama, or sheer, crazy fun? Good in Parts. Film Aching. Hey, There's a Dead Guy in the Living Room.
  4. What three blogs are you devoted to? Other than the RevGalBlogPals of course! Well, Cordeliaknits, of course. Given the time difference between Maine and California and the concern about cellphone minutes (hers), it's the best way of staying in touch with my daughter. The Lipstick Chronicles, a blog by some mystery writers. And StoneSoupArt, partly because I've met the blogger (a friend of Cordeliaknits) and partly for the beautiful photographs.
  5. Who introduced you to the world of blogging and why? I'm pretty sure the first blog I read was Songbird's. It was recommended in the newsletter of a nearby church, neither hers nor mine. I got hooked. Then Cordeliaknits started hers and it just snowballed from there until I couldn't stand it any more and had to have my own blog.
Bonus question: Have you ever met any of your blogging friends? Where are some of the places you've met these fun folks? Yes, apart from the ones I already knew before I read their blogs, I have met Songbird at the bean supper at her current church, and when I was in Minneapolis recently I had coffee with Diane from Faith in Community -- great fun! Songbird and I hope to get our dogs together some time, but I'm afraid Molly and Sam will be shocked and dismayed by Rusty's bad manners. Here is the traditional Blogger Meetup Feet picture from my and Diane's morning at the Birchwood Cafe:

12 comments:

Sally said...

another foot photo! great play :-)

revhipchick said...

i love these meet-up photos! awesome!

Anonymous said...

Fun play! I love all the RevGals meetup shoe photos - they crack me up. :-)

Happy Friday!
warriormare

Jan said...

Diane is very hospitable to visiting bloggers to Minneapolis!
I really liked your descriptions of names and why your blog is titled how it is. I guess in some ways I have always felt "exiled" from WA State.

Dorcas (aka SingingOwl) said...

I relate to the blog title as well. Always feel I don't quite belong anywhere. I loved the photo--made me grin!

Choralgrrl said...

Mmmmmm. Biiiiirchwood.

DEFINITELY get in touch when you come--that'd be fun! :-)

Unknown said...

I can't wait to see you again, with or without dogs!

Anonymous said...

umm...did you coordinate your outfits in advance? same color pants and shoes is quite a coincidence, don't you think?

Mavis said...

I love the mystery blogs. Thanks for those links. And thanks for your virtual visit and sage advice.

Processing Counselor said...

You know, when I do the FF, I'm usually rushing to get to work, It's 5:30 am-and I can't blog from the office. When I see some of the thoughtful responses-like yours-I wish I could take more time. Have you read "Here if you need me" yet? Or met Kate Braestrup. You know, The Maine connection...
Great Play. I liked it. Nice shoes too. I have red Tevas.

Mavis said...

Fellow intro - I've tagged you for meme. I mamanged it withoiut feeling too exposed :-)

Mavis said...

Just tagged you for a meme