Thursday, December 11, 2008

December Stories and Songs, Part 11


I've always wondered why Nativity scenes, creches, etc. so seldom contain cats. What sort of barn would it be without a cat? A barn overrun with mice and rats, that's what sort. So I was very happy to find a charming little picture book called Cat in the Manger for Sisterfilms and her cat Winifred to listen to together.

Since the book is quite short, there are two songs to the same tune to go with it. The first is Cats May Safely Sleep, written by Garrison Keillor to the Bach tune, and sung by Keillor and Frederica Von Stade on the CD Songs of the Cat.
"God in His grace has given us cats,
So that even the lonely may love and admire."

Then, another rendition of Bach's Sheep May Safely Graze, done by the Modern Mandolin Quartet on A Winter's Solstice IV -- perhaps my favorite of all the Winter's Solstice albums.

And, I now know that I could get a cat family for my nativity scene, but maybe I'll just let Heidi, our cat, watch over it.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Ah, you are so right about cats!