Friday, January 4, 2008

A Real Maine Winter, at Last!


Here's one of the sights Rusty and I saw on our walk this afternoon. Today, machinery and trucks were everywhere carting away excess snow, so our sidewalks are now a bit more walkable. It has been almost Minnesota-cold the last couple of days, but I think it's warming up a bit now. I have always remembered that on the day I joined the Army, 29 January 1971, we had had my height in snow here (65 or 66 inches). The paper said the other day that indeed, our area has had the snowiest December since 1970. Life seems to go on much as usual, though, with only occasional closings and cancellations which are soon made up. Here is a picture of one of the ways we prepare for winter; my readers in Georgia and California have probably never seen such a thing. It is a fire hydrant with a metal flag on top so that it can be located in the deep snow. The Fire Department comes around in their chartreuse trucks and shovels out each fire hydrant by hand a day or so after the storm.

1 comment:

Cathy said...

You are right I have never seen such a thing - not even the snow! Never thought about the markers for the hydrants. The thought of that much snow is beyond my ability to understand!