Tuesday, June 24, 2008

Common phrases and what they really mean

"Your call is important to us" -- but not important enough to hire enough people at the call center to answer it in a timely manner.

"With all due respect" -- with no respect at all.

"For your convenience" -- for our convenience, we will not do whatever it takes to make things convenient for you, the customer.

"We are no longer able to" -- we do not choose to (for instance, validate parking ramp fees).

That's all I can think of right now, as I sit on hold at Major ISP waiting to reset my webmail password so I can check email a few times on our trip to the Midwest. I wouldn't be quite so whiny except that I was on hold for 20 minutes, the phone rang, someone said "Thank you for calling Major ISP" and then the line went dead. So now I'm on hold for the second time.

GRRRR!

2 comments:

lookoutlady said...

I understand all too well. I spent 47 minutes on hold last night and the tech who finally responded had an accent so thick I was continually asking, "Would you repeat that, please?" At least with a speakerphone I stayed within earshot and was able to do other "stuff".

Onkel Hankie Pants said...

I think one should identify the offending company or organization; to coin a new phrase:

No blame by name, no shame.