Friday, June 20, 2008

A Word Association Friday Five

Over at RevGalBlogPals, Singing Owl says:

I am feeling like playing hooky, and I'm putting off sermon prep till tomorrow. It is a beautiful, sunny day at my place. So come on outside and let's play a summer Friday Five!

This post is loosely based on previous "wordy" Friday Fives from Reverend Mother and Songbird. I liked the results, and so we are doing another word association . Theirs were based on words from a lectionary text. Mine comes from the Lovin' Spoonful song, "Summer in the City."

Think summer......are you there? Below you will find five words or phrases. Tell us the first thing you think of on reading each one. Your response might be simply another word, or it might be a sentence, a poem, a memory, a recipe, or a story. You get the idea:

1. rooftop
GARDEN
2. gritty
CITY
3. hot town (yeah, I know, it's two words)
IN THE OLD TOWN TONIGHT
4. night
MUSIC
5. dance
FEVER
And for your listening pleasure, here is the song.


Thanks, Singing Owl, for taking me back to the halcyon summer days of 1966. I was staying at my friend The Decorator's parents' house, working at a Federal agency in Bridgeport (hence, the gritty city), and evenings and weekends, reconnecting with my friends after my two-year absence in Germany and Maine. (Same friends I was just with in SC). Enjoying my first "real job" ($50 a week! wealth beyond the dreams of avarice!), the beach, going to plays and concerts at the late lamented Stratford Shakespeare Festival....Maybe in a bit I'll find some of the other songs from that summer.

3 comments:

Dorcas (aka SingingOwl) said...

This was delightful! Thank you for playing, and I'm glad you had fun remembering!

Dorcas (aka SingingOwl) said...

That's a lot better video than the one I posted, by the way!

Jeanine Byers said...

"In the summer, in the city..."

Fun post! It's wonderful to stroll down a summer memory lane.