Friday, January 30, 2009

Friday Five: HGTV Edition


RevGalBlogPal Will Smama tells us: 
As some of you may know I am in the midst of my first home purchase. It is a new-build and so some of the fun was picking out upgrades and major decor items to my taste rather than walking into a previously owned home that needed to be upgraded room by room (pink and teal tiles in the bathroom, anyone?). As much as decorating is not my thing, I did try to embrace the moment because just how many times do you get to have a do-over on kitchen cabinets/floors/countertops?

And so, my questions to you this fine Friday involve your home past, present or future...
1) If you could, what room in the place you are currently living would you redo first?
The dining room/sunroom. It's a wonderful room in many ways, but since it also serves as the main entrance, some sort of clever rearrangement is needed. This is more a matter of "an eye" which I don't have, rather than money.
2) What is the most hideous feature/color/decor item you have ever seen in a home?
Too many to count, but to stick with one of my own homes -- our previous house had 2 layers of brown plaid wallpaper in the kitchen (sort of a glen plaid, therefore quite dense, not much white or cream in it. That kitchen had seven windows but always seemed dark until we got rid of that wallpaper. (The people from whom we bought the house seemed to like brown.  A lot.)
3) What feature do you most covet? Do you have it? If not, is it within reach?
At least a 1/2 bath on the second floor, for guests, and it would be nice for us too. We'd have to give up some of the extensive closet space but it would be doable, were it not that adding a bathroom costs way too much money.
4) Your kitchen - love it or hate it? Why?
Love, love, love it! Even the aqua tiles with purple trim (so 50s! You can see it in the picture above.) I love the spaciousness, the light, and the counter space and good number of cabinets.  I might like new flooring someday but even that is OK. 
5) Here is $10,000 and you HAVE to spend it on the place you are living now. What do you do?
If I could do that 1/2 bath for that (which might be possible given this economy), I would. Otherwise I might buy some furniture and replace at least one room of carpet with hardwood flooring.
BONUS: Why do you think there was such a surplus of ugly bathroom tile colors showcased in all homes built from the 1950's right through the early 80's?
Different tastes? Our house was built in 1951, and we have the aforementioned tiles in the kitchen, which I think are nicely funky. Then in the bathroom we have salmon and black. Not pink and black, salmon, which is very hard to decorate around as far as towel colors go. The floor tile there is shades of pink or salmon and blue, just to complicate things further. On second thought I might spend some of the $10,000 replacing that floor, which is not in tip-top condition anyway.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

wonderful play--your turquoise/teal tiles look lovely!

Sally said...

lovely kitchen!

As for salmon and black, striking I guess but tough to decorate around....

Teri said...

salmon? oh my.

Good luck on the bathroom plans! I bet it's doable...have fun!

Hot Cup Lutheran said...

the tile is kinda funky... i like it! salmon though? ewww that would be hard to match stuff with... yowzers.

LutheranChik said...

My dad had the "brown" bug, and insisted that the late Cold Comfort Cottage be covered in wood paneling. This becomes positively cavelike during the short-daylight months. When we were moving I noticed that the new owners were in the process of painting the paneling over with white, which looked suprrisingly good -- kind of a faux bead-and-batten thing.

Processing Counselor said...

I like the tiles, too.

Elaine (aka...Purple) said...

The 1/2 bath would be great...why does plumbing stuff always rack up the dollars???